A Multiple Intelligence Lifestyle

Exposure Blossoms Curiosity,Curiosity Blossoms Exposure

Thursday, January 13, 2011

Brains shrinking...what?

For the past few months I’ve been concocting this blog in the back of my mind. As it brewed, I realized the main ingredient was the brain. How the brain fascinates me. Yes, this sounds dorky, but oh well. I accepted this part of my nature years ago.

The brain; we really know little about it; and its advancing as fast as we are learning about it. Although it is our CPU, it really is a new territory of study. Only in the past few decades have technologies advanced enough to PROPERLY study the brain and its functions.  

The brain is the root of intelligence. It’s where intelligence is born and spirals out to the rest of our body.  As we use our intelligence, the power of intelligence grows. When we power our intelligence it naturally leads to an enhancement of interaction with our world.

With that said, I would like to refer to intelligence as intelligences from now on, as it should be apparent I'm an enthusiast of the Multiple Intelligences Theory-an eclectic mix of 8 virtues of intelligence: linguistic, logic-mathematical, musical, spatial, bodily-kinesthetic, naturalist, interpersonal, and intrapersonal. I whole heartedly believe every human possesses each of these virtues. We all just possess them in different levels. I measure the levels in terms of strengths and weaknesses.

So, the other day as I’m in my kitchen chopping vegetables or maybe I was doing dishes, anyhoo that is really not the point here, I had this weird AH-HA moment. Do you know what kind I’m talking about...I love those moments!! Remember earlier I said I was of the dorky type, well here is a prime example (Oh and by the way to make myself feel better, I tell myself I’m more philosophical than dorky. It can be easily confused, right?). So, I was pondering away on how in modern times our society over -emphasizes/values the linguistic and logic-mathematical intelligences. I also began wondering if a human isn’t using all his/her natural intelligences because of an over-emphasization of select intelligences, would that have an effect on brain and body development? If I’m losing ya let me help you. Historically humans have had to use, for lack of better words, a lot of the brain and body to get by in daily life. In modern day times our convenient lifestyles have a lot of machines that help us perform daily tasks and basically do the thinking and/or work for us. Comprehension of words and numbers is at the forefront of knowledge and everything we do.  What happens when a human isn’t exposed to knowledge through all intelligence factors?
 
My brain was going off in a question frenzy.

Shortly after I logged on to my facebook page and a friend had posted this article: 
http://www.npr.org/2011/01/02/132591244/our-brains-are-shrinking-are-we-getting-dumber

No joke. The universe works in mysterious ways. Read the article. There is no direct link to what I’m saying. I came up with my own conclusion. If it’s true our brains are shrinking, maybe it’s because we aren’t using all our natural intelligences on a daily basis or even at all?  Or maybe the areas of the brain that control logical thinking, languages, memorization, reasoning, numbers, facts and dates are more compact, although they boast more power? Almost similar to computers. Remember how honkin big computers used to be?  Maybe our brains are downsizing as we progress. 

Personally, I’m a little worried. The thought of our brains shrinking doesn’t sit well with me. Whether it’s natural evolution or not, the article set off quite a local debate and it did fit in perfectly with my weird ah-ha moment. I guess now I can add brain shrinkage to my list of reasons of why I should promote learning with all forms of our natural intelligences.






P.S. I know my posts are long, I’m just getting through all my preludes of thought. Posts with practical ideas to promote intelligence and boost yours and your loved one's brains are promised in the future! Thanks for stickin around :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment